Swift Creek Sports Club has opened registration for youth rugby! Click HERE to sign your kid up! Please forward this message on to anyone else you know that has children would like to participate. More kids means more fun!
Just a few reminders… 1) The season will be 6 weeks long. Games will be on Saturday mornings. U-11 and U-15 will practice 1X / week and U-19 will practice 2X / week. Practice will begin the first week of June.
2) Please consider coaching or refereeing this summer. It would be great to have two coaches per team, especially in the U-19 league. The more people we have, the more flexible we can be with everyone’s schedule. Even if you think you might be on vacation or out of town for a week or two, don’t let this stop you from making the commitment! We can work out the details. Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 640-0859 if you are interested.
The next meeting is Monday, April 23rd, 7:30 at RISE Sports Center (not Swift Creek). All are welcome.
Let me be the first to wish everyone a Happy St. Paddy’s Day – every ruggers favorite holiday (yes, even the Aussies and the South Africans and the English).
Just wanted to give everyone an update on where we are with Youth Rugby
1) We’ll have three age brackets – Under-11, Under-15, and Under-19
2) The cost will be $75 per player and includes a ball, socks, and shorts. Fees will also cover referees and fields. Jerseys will require a deposit and players will have an option to purchase at the end of the season (All pricing is subject to final approval by Swift Creek)
3) The season will be 6 weeks long. Games will be on Saturday mornings. U-11 and U-15 will practice 1X / week and U-19 will practice 2X / week. Practice will begin the first week of June.
4) Brad Powell, Executive Director of Swift Creek Sports Club, has been getting a lot of phone calls. People are excited about this. We shouldn’t be surprised if we get 100 – 200 players.
5) About 6 people have committed to be coaches. We think we need at least 12, plus referees. WE NEED ALL THE HELP WE CAN GET. Please consider coaching or refereeing this summer. It would be great to have two coaches per team, especially in the U-19 league. The more people we have, the more flexible we can be with everyone’s schedule. Even if you think you might be on vacation or out of town for a week or two, don’t let this stop you from making the commitment! We can work out the details. Please contact me at email@example.com or 640-0859 if you are interested.
The next meeting is Monday, March 12th, 7:30 at Swift Creek Sports Club. All interested people are welcome. Player registration opens March 24th on the Swift Creek Web site. There will be another clinic that same day at Clover Hill HS (same format as the RISE event). Again, we need some volunteers from the club – especially the old boys who aren’t playing that day!
Finally, please forward this to anyone who you think might be interested – maybe that old rugby friend you haven’t seen for awhile who now has a couple of kids. And tell everyone you know that Youth Rugby is starting this summer!!!!
After three years of trying while have our inaugral season the summer of 2007. SwiftCreek Sports Club has agreed to add rugby to their sports offerings. They currently offer lacrosse and field hockey. They are very excited to be doing this and are prepared to get the word out. They have already received calls and it is posted on their website -
The present task is to put together a list of coaches and referees. Refs will be paid. A posting has been put on the Lions message board from Chris Fidler about this; with good response. We weren't sure how many of the 'old boys' check the Lions board so I am contacting you all directly because you've indicated an interest in the past.
Here are some current dates: November 14 - Kick off meeting for coaches and refs. December 9 - Exhibition match at RISE indoor facility which will be in conjuction with the indoor FH & lacrosse playing there.
Late January - Coach and ref clinic March 24 & May 5 - Youth Clinics March 24 to May 5 registration Mid - June to Aug 5 SeasonPlease contact me if you are firstname.lastname@example.org
Noel Losen,Youth Coordinator Richmond Lions Rugby More from Chris Fidler,posted Oct 2006
To all fellow ruggers –
As you know, Swift Creek Sports Club is launching its youth rugby program in the summer of 2007. Swift Creek Sports Club already offers lacrosse and field hockey programs for hundreds of kids in the Richmond area. They have built great relationships with the Chesterfield County School District and Parks & Recreations department. They have the infrastructure that will make a youth rugby program an immediate success. What they need from the rugby community is people who are willing to coach and referee. It is not necessary to have any formal certifications to coach or ref at this level. Remember, the games are touch and we will be educating kids who have never played – any level of rugby knowledge is sufficient. Also we will be providing training sessions for those that want to coach/ref. Refs will be paid if you want to make some extra cash on the side. The time commitment is not high. We only need a few nights of your time between now and next summer, and the season is only 6 – 7 weeks long.
We are holding an information session at 7:00 – 8:30 PM on Tuesday, November 14th at the Swift Creek Sports Club to discuss the timeline for the next year, which will include exhibition matches for field hockey and lacrosse athletes, coach/referee training sessions, and workshops. We will also discuss the Laws so that you start to have an understanding of what kind of game will be played. Please RSVP at email@example.com" if you can attend so that we can ensure we have enough space and materials. Also, please forward to this to anyone you think might be interested. It is open to everyone.
Thanks, Chris Fidler